Wednesday, March 27, 2013

This is where it begins

OK, so here's the deal in a nutshell:
  1. I'm going to take on a difficult and somewhat perilous challenge to raise funds for Glaucoma Australia.
  2. Through this blog, I will update you on the fascinating intricacies of my training and try to keep you entertained.
  3. I'm hoping you will follow my progress and choose to donate to this worthwhile cause.
  4. Even if you don't donate, please get your eyes checked (especially if you're over 40 or have a family history of Glaucoma)!
Now for some specifics.

What am I doing?

On Sunday 19 May 2013, I will try to swim from Sydney's iconic Bondi Beach to Watsons Bay, a distance of approximately 10km. Here's what it looks like on a map.
southheadmap
That's right - out off the beach, up the coast, and into Sydney Harbour through the heads!
10km is a long way to swim. For me anyway - I've never swum that far before. If conditions are favourable, I'm expecting it will take me about 4 hours. That's 4 hours of continuous swimming in the open ocean. If conditions are not favourable, well, then, I could be out there a while longer...

Why am I doing it?

To raise much-needed funds for Glaucoma Australia.

Glaucoma Australia (GA) is the peak glaucoma awareness/education/support association in Australia.

Glaucoma is the leading cause of irreversible blindness across the globe.

GA is a national, not-for-profit registered charity whose mission is to minimise visual disability from glaucoma by:
  1. increasing community awareness
  2. supporting glaucoma patients and their families
  3. funding glaucoma research
GA runs on a shoestring, and is largely dependant on donations and bequests to carry on its work.
I'm really proud to have been involved with GA for several years now, and know how efficiently and carefully its funds are utilised.

What am I asking you to do?
  1. Donate to Glaucoma Australia. Donations of $2 or more are tax deductible.
  2. Spread the word to get others to donate.
  3. Follow my progress through this blog and feel free to offer unsolicited advice from the sidelines (post comments below).
  4. Get your eyes checked!
Am I doing it alone?

No. I'm very lucky that Doug Campbell has offered to provide and captain his magnificent boat "L'Esprit de Joie" as my support boat (every swimmer/team is required to have its own support boat). Quite simply, without Doug's participation, I couldn't enter the event at all. I'm extremely grateful for his time and generosity in making this possible.

In addition, Fred "The Lynx" Linker has agreed to accompany me on a paddle ski. Fred will be my constant companion in the water, helping navigate and avoiding any nasty sea-life. I'm hoping he won't have to listen to too much whingeing from me!

Apart from that, there will be approximately 50 other solo swimmers and a number of relay teams taking on the challenge. In all, there will be about 150 swimmers on the day.

How will I train for this?

Swimming, mostly.

But since I'm a strong believer in cross-training, and perhaps also because I'm crazy about it, I will make sure that I get lots of mountain biking in as well.

I'll post details of my training log from time to time. So far, this calendar year I've been averaging about 8-10km per week in the pool and/or ocean. I'll be stepping that up to about 10-12km per week between now and the event.

Will all my posts be this long?

No. I promise.

Where to from here?

Easy. Please donate! :)

Thanks in advance.
Daniel



No comments: